Crispy Crumbed Tofu Tacos
Recipe by Andros Nutritious Delicious
- 250g extra firm tofu
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Small bunch fresh coriander, parsley or mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 x 100g pot Nutritious Delicious Natural
- 150g mixed green cabbage and carrot, finely shredded
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 8 dill pickle spears plus 1 tbsp of pickling liquid
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (see tips below)
- 75g dried breadcrumbs, preferably Panko
- 1 tbsp smoked ground paprika
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 4-6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Smoked Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1.Drain and dry the tofu. Cut into large bite-sized chunks and put in a bowl with the lime zest and juice, herbs, sugar and the Nutritious Delicious. Stir gently to mix then leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- 2.When ready to serve, put the cabbage, carrot, spring onion, pickling liquid and some seasoning in a bowl. Drain the tofu from the marinade, stirring the marinade into the cabbage and carrot slaw mix as a dressing.
- 3.Toss the drained tofu pieces in the aquafaba until well coated.
- 4.On a plate mix together the breadcrumbs, paprika, chia seeds and seasoning. Press the tofu pieces, a few at a time, into the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
- 5.Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the crumbed tofu in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- 6.Divide the cabbage slaw, dill pickles and crispy tofu between the tortillas and top with a generous spoonful of Smoked Chipotle Mayonnaise.
Aquafaba is the magic liquid drained from canned chickpeas (buy chickpeas in plain water NOT salted water). It is a good substitute for egg white in many dishes.
The tofu can be fried ahead, even the day before, and simply reheated in a hot oven for 2-3 minutes.